Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Missing in Action

I haven't been holding up my end of the blogging partnership lately and I apologize. I wish I could say that my schedule has been overwhelmingly busy but in truth, I'm still just nursing my ankle back to health. Two weeks down, one to go before I can start physical therapy and the long rehab process. I did just schedule my first PT appointment for next week, can you tell I'm anxious to get going?

That aside, life has been chugging along. I have yet to nail down a home yet but have a couple options lined up. One of which is bound to work out. I've also been researching my transportation options. Apparently important tax for a foreign car into Laos is 100%. Is that not incredibly insane? Even more so, is just how many foreign cars are on the roads here. Where do these people find the money to pay such an insane tax?
Just another of the many quirks of Laos.

A quick recap of my last week. Lots of reading, Ian bought me a new kindle book about Buddhism that I've thoroughly been enjoying. We also took a trip to the local movie store and bought a handful of pirated films to keep me entertained. In truth, probably the most exciting aspect of my last week has been culinary.

I've been eating like a queen here. It's just too easy. Options are plentiful, dirt cheap, and oh so convenient. The fresh squeezed juices and smoothies are pretty epic too. My favorite thus far is a Laos coffee and coconut milk smoothie; a delicious sugary, caffeine infused concoction to keep you buzzing all afternoon!

The pho and Vietnamese sandwiches have been pretty amazing as well (cheaper and tastier than at home). I've also had lots of tasty curries, noodle dishes, sushi, the list goes on and on. I'm pretty sure I'll come back to the US about 30 lbs heavier.....unless I get off these crutches soon and back to the gym. :)

Massages, tasty food and beer Lao.....who needs a functioning ankle, right?

1 comment:

  1. Actually you probably don't need much of anything else.Purpose in life. Maybe. You have my undying love & devotion. I'll let you get mobile, before I contact Anthony about the Laos episode.

    ReplyDelete