Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Massages fix EVERYTHING

Today felt like my first true Saturday in Laos, if for no other reason than I seem to have filled the day with weekend type activities and only let my ankle slow me down slightly. I went to brunch with some friends at Stickys (a local expat institution). After a leisurely brunch and a sweat inducing stroll downtown, we went shopping at the local home goods store, where everything is dirt cheap, comes from china and will likely disintegrate in 2-4 weeks. This was quite an endeavor on a bum foot and took far longer than anticipated.

So in reward for my valiant shopping effort, I experienced my first ever Laos massage. For a whopping $6, I was given a wonderful full body massage (minus one injured ankle) which involved a small Laos lady bending me in various positions and at one point standing on my thighs to allow full use of her body weight. It was quite amazing and I will likely be back every week for the next 53 weeks or so :).

After the massage, a brief nap to help collect myself and then dinner with some new friends at their beautiful Laos style home. I took a Napa Valley wine I found in the local expat market just to make sure and represent a little bit. However, I was well outdone by the French woman who brought a delicious Champagne which went quite well with a tasty fish stew our hostess made.

All in all, a successful Saturday....complete with Sunday morning hangover.

No comments:

Post a Comment