Saturday, January 21, 2012

Life goes on

Back to work today, at a snails pace of course. Having never been on crutches before, I never appreciated just how life altering they are. Luckily, I have a wonderful housemate (at least temporarily) who makes sure I'm fed and comfortable. She also has a cat named Tom Collins, who is absolutely insane. He's still a kitten and insists on chewing on my bandaged foot at every opportunity. You can see the crazy in his eyes, don't you think?



On the upside, I went sinh shopping today with a woman from work. Sihns are traditional skirts that women wear in Laos. They can be quite beautiful and I'm excited to go to a tailor next week to have mine made. I purchased five different fabrics, and I'm sure I'll buy a great deal more over the next year. They are a neat foldover design that allows you to ride a bike, motorbike, etc. without flashing everyone around. It's also a very cultural thing, and I think the Laos people appreciate the effort of falang women to wear them. All the men compliment me when I do wear them :)



As for my foot, it's getting uglier by the day, but I am certainly appreciating that while my injury looked horrible, it could have been much much worse. It was a subtalar dislocation meaning not the actual ankle joint but the joint just below that. This means that my ankle joint was still intact and also means there is less chance of an associated fracture or the need for surgery to stabilize things. I do plan to followup with an orthopaedic surgeon with my xrays just to be sure but if the internet is right (and it so often is) then my prognosis looks pretty good. Three weeks nonweightbearing, then physical therapy and I should be right as rain.

I've even cheated some and put a little weight through the foot and it seems tender but not overly so. I've also been doing some nonweightbearing motion and have decent range of motion already, so hopefully rehabilitation will be a breeze (famous last words). I must admit that in a city where motorbikes are the main transportation, life with an injured leg isn't easy. I'm basically stranded unless I call a cab (there are only a hand full in town) or hop on the back of someone's bike crutches in hand. Needless to say, I won't be purchasing my own motorbike any time soon.




I did make it out of the house today to see an apartment. I'm sharing with an Australian woman I met since being here. Two bedroom, one bath for $500 a month....and prices have basically gone through the roof lately. That of course includes aircon, internet, water, etc. It also includes a guard at the front gait, a maid who cleans daily, does the laundry and dishes. Basically I will be paying $300 for a housewife/mom and an apartment. That's a long way from San Francisco prices. You can see why people get spoiled living here.....now if only I could higher someone to carry me up and down the 3 flights of stairs :)

2 comments:

  1. Cody: so sorry you have to learn about crutches this way... but just think: you will develop more upper body strength! Sending good thoughts your way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cody sounds like you are doing great, and keeping your spirits up as well! Good for you! I LOVE the fabrics you picked out...how fun to have them custom tailored for you. Have you looked into any energy healing in Laos? I don't know if there is a native Laotian energy healing modality (like Reiki in Japan) but it would be fun to find out and try (if you're into that kind of stuff at all). Take care talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete