Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Ode to Aunty Wendy

Such a slacker, I know, I know. I'm sorry Wendy! My life just isn't that exciting. Time spent at the gym, doing yoga, getting massages....just the usual. :)

The good news is that the next couple of months should some action on my end. Coming up is the Laos new year, which is a three day long party where people get drunk and dump buckets of water on each other. Sounds like a jolly good time for the first couple hours and probably gets old pretty quick. So, inspired by my expat friends and my crazy Lao neighbors who love to blare horrible American club music at all hours, I'm heading for the hills with my housemate.

We're going to a place called green climbers in Thakek, which is a 4.5 bus ride from Vientiane. It's a nice little setup of bungalows off a little river and is a home base for climbing trips in the surrounding areas. There are also lots of caves nearby and hopefully some good hikes as well. I'm looking forward to some exercise and outdoor enjoyment. Vientiane is quite polluted, so although I often walk places, it isn't necessarily enjoyable.

Later in April I hope to sneak away for a weekend meditation retreat at a little dhamma center I found outside of Vientiane. Then Ian and Saleema are working on scheduling their trip to come visit, hopefully at the end of May. I plan to take some time off when they're here to go up to Luang Prabang for at least a long weekend.

Then come June I'm off to Sri Lanka for a couple weeks for a little yoga beach R&R! With all that coming up, I'm currently just working.

We're in the middle of remodeling and renovating the P&O workshop. So I've been doing a lot of work designing the layout and trying to influence the staff to do some cleaning, organization, and most of all, disposable of nonworking items.

Apparently Lao people struggle with throwing things away, so upon inspection of the workshop, we discovered 3 nonworking sewing machines, 3 nonworking ovens, and numerous other broken down equipment pieces. And the staff wonders why their workspace is so cramped. Hmmmmmmmmm.

1 comment:

  1. But Beloved Toady, Isn't that the lesson? That being present in the moment can make even the most mundane days meaningful .You are involved with helping people ., what could be more important? Wish I could be there for the New Year celebration. Sounds like my kind of a good time!

    ReplyDelete