Monday, April 16, 2012

Green Climbers

Just back from my first ever rock climbing trip. By all accounts, was a great success. Green Climbers is tucked away outside of Thakhek, a town 6 hours from Vientiane to the East. It's a beautiful little spot, ran by a German couple. They have built a number of little stilted bungalows and dormitories, as well as a great little bar/restaurant. There are loads of climbing areas in walking distance and an amazing cave with a great swimming hole is just a stroll away as well. The pictures don't really do it justice.

Morning yoga location and tent spots for those unwilling to spring the $6 for a dorm bed or $20 for a bungalow.

Such an amazing cave and swimming hole. My favorite spot for a little sunbathing and snoozing.



Gorgeous pink dragonfly.

Tha Falang - a pretty little lake just down the road. We borrowed some bikes and came over for a swim.

I didn't capture any of my graceful moves on the rock but you can see the blood running down my leg from my first rock climbing injury. The rock was incredibly sharp....everyone had scraps and bruises.

Some of these guys are just incredible climbers, fun to watch.




Yoga every morning at 7 am, beerlao flowing like water, 100 degree weather and one rocking Pi Mai celebration. I climbed for my first time and got a nice battle wound right off the bat. But I had a great time and since my housemate is such an avid climber, I'll likely be going back in the near future.

They do close in rainy season, when the Germans return to Germany and the Green Climber area floods (hence the stilted bungalows). Over the Pi Mai holiday the place was packed with both backpackers and local expats from Vientiane. Saturday night, the Lao staff threw a celebratory water fight/dance party. It seems to be the one time of the year when Lao girls can let their hair down and party. Quite the spectacle but definitely a good time.

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic pictures-- thanks Cody! Terra just tried rock climbing a few weeks ago at local gym and is hooked. One of Travis' best friends has a life that revolves around rock climbing-- he recently borrowed rick's drill with a steel brush head to clean the moss off of a local rock he wanted to climb. I've got to have them see the picture of the rock climbers on that amazing wall.
    xo, Melinda

    ReplyDelete