Thursday, February 23, 2012

It's the Little Things

that you forget to appreciate until they're gone. But it's also the little things that make you so very thankful and appreciative. I guess the pendulum swings both ways. Since being in a developing country has had countless moments of missing little things from home and equally as many moments of appreciating all that is here.

Most recently I took advantage of one of two Western style gyms in town. I'm not up to running yet but was able to cycle some and am well on my way to rebuilding some muscle. Even that the gym exists is pretty amazing, that it's dirt cheap ($200 a year) is an added bonus. The fact that is doesn't carry towels, water fountains or the power comes and goes are the little things that I find myself missing. That aside, the gym does has a killer view of the Mekong and most of your standard gym equipment.

Another given that I failed to truly appreciate stems partially from living in the bay area for the past years. Red wine, when served in Laos, is a complete gamble. It is likely to be iced rather than room temperature and just as likely to have come out of box (Wendy, this country really is meant for you). So rumor is that Gin & tonics are the beverage of choice, second only to beerlao of course. However, tonic is currently out of stock in Laos. Yes, you heard right. The entire country is out of tonic. Apparently, the floods in Thailand knocked out the tonic factory.

On the other hand, Vientiane does boast a Swensen's Ice Cream....originally founded in San Francisco. It's definitely not the same and doesn't rival COPE's homemade ice cream. But sometimes you just need to take what you can get. And any kind of ice cream helps when the temperatures get into the 100s.

I was invited today to attend a work party. Apparently our acting director purchased a cow, and invited everyone to partake. I'm imagining an entire cow turning over an open spit....but that probably isn't quite accurate. I'll take my camera and be sure to let you know. We will most certainly be partaking in the Laos version of bocce ball. They use metal balls but the game is universal. It makes me think of wonderful times in Pe Ell and Manson.

Well, I'm off to dinner with some girlfriends. French cuisine tonight....which surely means some tasty wine as well. So cheers!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment