Sunday, June 3, 2012

Joining the ranks of Jeannie & Sherri...

So I'm officially setting the goal to run in the Angkor Wat half marathon in December. I'd heard about it and toyed with the idea, but now I'm publicly sharing my intention with the hope that humiliation is a better motivator than sheer will power. I've been running since my ankle dislocation but figure having a larger goal to work toward will help keep me consistent.

Angkor Wat!



I was talking with a woman this weekend who ran the 10 K last year and said it's really amazing. You start at sunrise and run a loop around the empty temples while the sun comes up. Sounds like a once in a lifetime experience to me. Plus it's relatively flat and that time of year the weather is tolerably cool. And there are lots of cheap but fancy hotels around to lounge in for recovery.

The Half Marathon a couple of years ago.


So here's to joining the league of McDonald (& Abbott) women runners! :)


3 comments:

  1. good luck! I always say it's not about your time, it's about finishing! Intervals are the way to do it, so that your body gets some recovery and you can keep going!I do 4:1 (run 4 minutes walk 1) Have fun training and remember to feed yourself along the way (pretzels, potatoes, etc) Sometimes the gu or gels don't sit well with some stomachs, so do a test run on any food you want to try. you'll also want lots of lube so you don't chafe. What's your address? I'll send you a running care package! jeannie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jeannie! As a newbie, I'll be happy to finish. Woohoo running care package....I'm sure I can find some good stuff in Thailand but Lao doesn't have much for runners I don't think. We don't have house addresses in Lao, so my work is the best bet. :)

    COPE c/o Physical Medicine Rehabilitation Centre
    Khouvieng Road
    P.O. Box 6652
    Vientiane, Laos

    ReplyDelete
  3. A commendable goal Toady and it sounds like an amazing run. Always interesting to do something healthy & happy with large numbers of people. Only time I like huge crowds I think. Like "Bay to Breakers"

    ReplyDelete